The Favorite Summer Side Dish That Is Deadly For Dogs

Yesterday, one of our World of Angus team members had a horrifying experience with her two rescue dogs, and a home-cooked meal.

This Favorite Summer Side Dish Is Deadly For Dogs: Here's What You Need To Know

Yesterday, one of our World of Angus team members had a horrifying experience with her two rescue dogs and a home-cooked meal.

Nicole and her partner were preparing dinner, when they stepped out of the room for a minute. When they returned to the kitchen, they witnessed an awful sight. The cobs of corn they had left on the counter were missing. Being the educated dog mom she is, Nicole knew the serious effects corn can have on a dog’s digestive system – corn is one of the leading causes of fatal bowel obstructions in dogs – and rushed her pups to the emergency room.

This Favorite Summer Side Dish Is Deadly For Dogs: Here's What You Need To Know

Charlie the antagonist (left) and Irwin the culprit (right)

Both dogs were examined and x-rayed for signs of obstruction. Luckily, Charlie hadn’t eaten any of the corn, while Irwin had eaten both cobs on his own. This meant necessary stomach pumping via IV (hence their aptly colored yellow bandages). A second stomach pump was required, due to the sheer amount of corn lodged in the Irwin’s stomach.

“We had to pump his stomach twice via IV and there were hunks bigger than a whole walnut. If we had left it, it would have meant surgery or worse,” Nicole said.

Though a little shaken up and drugged up from the whole ordeal, both Charlie and Irwin are safe at home and on the mend. They are incredibly fortunate that their super dog mom acted fast and got them to an emergency veterinarian immediately. Without medical attention, their fates could have been much worse.

We wanted to share this story with all the pup parents out there, who may not understand the serious danger some foods present to dogs. Something as harmless as corn on the cob can cause potentially fatal health complications, and is very expensive to remedy. If you are unsure of what foods may be harmful to your dog, please check our list here.

The vet pointed out that, although larger dogs can pass cob without issue, it’s not worth taking the risk to hold off on medical attention. The fact that Irwin was under 25 lbs, the amount of corn he ingested definitely increased his risk factor for bowel obstruction. As well, bowel obstruction remains a threat for up to a few months, as the corn can lodge itself within digestive system. If you see patterned vomiting, even after the corn cob is removed from your dog, return to the vet to ensure that there are no corn remnants.

Please share this story with other dog parents to spread awareness of dangerous household foods. We send our love to Nicole and her pups, and wish them the best of luck with Irwin and his counter surfing skills!

More from Alyssa Castle

Police Officers Are Doing This To Protect Their K9 Coworkers

Every year, dozens of dogs are killed by being left in hot...
Read More

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *