There is something ethereal about having a dog in your life. They’re full of love and awe. They will inspire you daily. That inspiration is borne of love, frustration, empathy, confusion, anger, and in the end, always more love. They will teach you as much, if not more than you will ever teach them.
Epiphanies will occur. This is inevitable. You may be out on a walk with your dog or at home on the couch watching them tear apart your favorite shoes in quiet disbelief, but they will come.
Here are eight such epiphanies that dog owners have:
1. I will never have a perfectly clean home again, and that’s OK
2. There is no greater gift than the love of a dog
3. I am responsible for the well-being of a living creature and I am ready for that
4. I will be late and I may have to cancel plans
5. Picking up poop is like tearing off a band-aid. Just get it over with
6. I am not as attached to my things as I thought I was
7. No matter how often I used a lint roller, my clothes will be covered in fur and that is also OK
8. Life with a dog is better than life without a dog
Let us know if any of these epiphanies have already hit you and any others you may have had.